BREAK FREE ! GET IN YOUR CAR AND EXPLORE. IT IS A BIG CONTINENT AND THERE IS LOTS TO SEE.
WE HOPE THAT THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE WILL HELP YOU TO HAVE AN ENJOYABLE HOLIDAY
PLEASE MAKE USE OF THE LINKS THAT HAVE BEEN PROVIDED TO HELP YOU OBTAIN ALL THE HELP AND INFORMATION THAT YOU MAY NEED.
Diesel car owners please read this important information. Please click here
PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BOX ABOVE TO FIND HOTEL ACCOMMODATION AT SOME OF THE BEST PRICES AVAILABLE.
THE HOTELS COMBINED SEARCH ENGINE SEARCHES 100 SITES TO GIVE YOU THE BEST HOTEL SELECTION AROUND.
FOR YOUR MOTORING HOLIDAY YOU WILL NEED A SUITABLE VEHICLE. WE DON'T REALLY THINK THAT ONE OF THESE IS SUITABLE FOR A LONG TRIP UNLESS YOU HAVE LOADS OF TIME, NO LUGGAGE, ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT COMFORT AND DON'T MID LEAVING CLOUDS OF SMOKE BEHIND YOU. THE PLUS POINT IS THAT IT IS CHEAP!
FOR OUR LONG TOURS WE CURRENTLY USE A NISSAN X-TRAIL. THIS IS A COMFORTABLE CAR WITH 4 WHEEL DRIVE. FROM NOVEMBER TO MID- MARCH WE USE WINTER TYRES AND FROM MID MARCH TO THE END OF OCTOBER WE USE SUMMER TYRES. THIS CAR DID A 4500 MILE ROUND TRIP TO THE NORDKAPP WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
THERE IS PLENTY OF LUGGAGE SPACE AND EXTRA STORAGE SPACE, INCLUDING A SLIDE OUT BOX BENEATH THE FLOOR OF THE LUGGAGE AREA. THE FUEL CONSUMPTION IS ABOUT 38 MPG.
IMPORTANT; Please see information in the your car section click here
SOME USEFUL INFORMATION
1. Make sure that your car is properly prepared. If it is due to be serviced then get it done before you go. Check your tyres, Are they safe for a long trip? Have you headlamp deflectors for use in countries where they drive on the other side of the road? Have you got a fire extinguisher, a footpump and some basic tools in the car? Do you keep a towrope in the boot?
2. Check that your tax and insurance are up to date. The last thing that you want is to be abroad and find that your tax or insurance has expired. Also check with your insurer that you are covered for the countries you intend to visit. Many policies now cover you for driving within the EU and the EEA.
3. Check that you have items that are required for the various countries that you intend to visit. For example many countries require a red warning triangle a spare set of bulbs and a first aid kit. Some now even require that you carry breathalyzers. You will find more information on this within the various country sections of this website.
4. Ensure that your car is properly equipped for the road and weather conditions that you are likely to meet.
TIP: I have two sets of tyres, summer and winter ones. The summer ones I use from April to the end of October and the winter ones from November to the end of March. Winter tyres are not only for snow. At any temperature below 7C they give vastly increased grip in ice rain or snow. When we do get snow, however, it is nice to know that you can drive through it whilst others are getting stuck. My wife also has winter tyres on her car. We wouldn't be without them now we know what they can do.
5. On each trip there will be items of equipment that you will always want to be sure that you have with you. It pays to prepare a few hand luggage bags with items that you will need and store these in your garage or storeroom.
We have three bags. One has beach mats, water shoes, suntan lotion, etc. The second has walking boots, waterproof trousers etc. The third one has gloves, warm hats and a blanket.
TIP. If you store anything on a concrete garage or storeroom floor the damp is likely to rise and cause bags or boxes to rot. We solved this problem by fitting Dynotile plastic garage floor tiles. It only took a few hours. They look good and because the air circulates below them everything on top of them stays dry. After five years they look pretty much the same as when they were fitted. If you want to know more about them then please click here to go to
You will need a European Health Insurance card. Find information on this at www.dh.gov.uk/travellers
ALL DESTINATIONS GOING ABROAD
DRIVING LICENCE CAR INSURANCE CERTIFICATE CAR LOGBOOK
MONEY HOTEL/COTTAGE RESERVATION PASSPORT
TRAVEL INSURANCE MAP/GUIDEBOOK HEADLIGHT CONVERTERS
WARNING TRIANGLE FIRST AID KIT FERRY TICKETS
FUEL FIRE EXTINGUISHER GB PLATES
BASIC TOOL KIT BREATHALYSER (France)
DONT FORGET YOUR WIFE--HUSBAND--PARTNER---CHILDREN----CHILD'S CAR SEAT IN YOUR EXCITEMENT TO GET AWAY ON HOLIDAY.
IMPORTANT: Has your car run out of warranty? If so it may pay to buy an extended warranty from Warrantywise, Just click below to get a quote. We bought a policy for our car because it covers recovery expenses, car hire and hotel/travel expenses as well as car repairs and can be tailored to your needs.